Posted on September 11, 2015 | By Hooves Guru | 2 responses
Keeping your Hooves of Fire Account Safe
We have compiled a list of tips to help players keep their Hooves of Fire accounts secure and hopefully avoid account theft.
1. Always use a strong password
Don’t make your password and obvious one (e.g. your pets name, your birthday etc). Make sure your password has more than 6 characters and includes both capital and lowercase letters, number(s) and/or symbols.
2. Don’t let your browser “remember” your password
Selecting “remember me” will store your login information after you log out.
3. Don’t tick the “Keep me logged in” button on Facebook
This will store your login information on your computer meaning you will automatically login to Facebook without entering your login information.
4. Always log out when you leave Facebook or the Hooves of Fire website
Don’t close the browser to log out of Facebook or the Hooves of Fire website, make sure you log out first. Then close the browser!
5. Change your password every few months
If you change your password regularly, there is less chance of someone guessing your password. Also, if you have logged in from someone else’s computer and changed your password, there is no chance for that ‘old’ password to be retrieved from that machine later and used to access your account.
6. Don’t save your password on your computer
Don’t save your password anywhere on your computer, in a file or email. If your machine is compromised, it is possible that your password can be retrieved and used to access your account.
7. Don’t sign in to your Facebook Account or Hooves of Fire website from any other computer except “trusted” machines
There may be malicious software installed that can ‘harvest’ your account details.
8. Don’t login in to your Facebook Account from any other link except www.facebook.com
Don’t login to Facebook from unfamiliar sites or from links in emails. Hackers can develop login sites that mimic the Facebook login pages and if you enter your details into these sites, your account details can be stolen.
9. Add two emails to your Facebook Account and use the security question feature
Adding the secondary email address, security questions and your mobile phone number will help retrieve your account if it is compromised.
10. Only add people you know as friends
If you don’t know someone, don’t add them. If one of your Facebook “friends” starts harassing you or becomes threatening or abusive, block them and then remove them from your friends list. Beware of accounts that may mimic someone already on your friends list.
11. Set your security settings in Facebook to “only my friends” or “only me”
This prevents your information being shared with people outside of your friends list and the rest of the world
12. Do not download unknown or unsolicited files to your computer
You may be inadvertently downloading and installing malicious software on your computer that can harvest your account details and other important information. This includes “cheat” programs that are designed to harvest your account details. These programs do not work and you will potentially lose your account.
13. Make sure your antivirus/anti-spyware software is up to date
Prevention is better than a cure!
14. Sign up for Hooves Passport and set a secret question for your Hooves of Fire account
Setting a secret question will help us identify you as the account owner in case your account is compromised. Never enter an email address that you do not own into Hooves Passport. People that promise they will VIP your account (e.g. if you stud their horse, they will buy you VIP) or “enter this email address to get free VIP” are trying to scam you out of your account and should not be trusted.
15. Do not share your account details
Seems obvious, but do not give other people your username and password details under any circumstances. Ultimately, you are responsible for all activity on your account so it is very unwise to give other people your login details either to Facebook or the Hooves of Fire website.